By: Stacy Peterson, MS, CNS, CHHC, CSCS
A client came to see me about her autoimmune condition, expressing several concerns she heard from conventional medicine practitioners and friends. By sharing what she once thought to be true, we'll examine the science and undercover autoimmunity truths. Help to spread the word to your loved ones and in your community. Let’s dive into each myth, clearing the waters and understanding the truth about autoimmunity.
1. Autoimmune disorders are unable to be reversed - Myth!
Within the field of epigenetics, we have learned that how our genes express themselves can be modified. For autoimmunity to arise, something in your environment, diet, or personal situations turns on your genes toward autoimmunity, creating a storm like impact within.
Through nutrition, reducing your body’s toxic burned, and intestinal healing that you can turn off the genes that have gone haywire, restore the balance within your amazing immune system, and be healthy again.
2. The progression of autoimmune disorders has nothing to do with digestion and gut health - Myth!
Often times the immune system and digestive system are looked at as two different aspects of the body that are separate from each other. However, this old way of thinking has been proven false time and time again.
The body is an interwoven connection of web-like connections that not only communicates with each other, but impacts each other too. With most of your immune system being located within your gut, it is imperative to focus on improving the function of your digestive system and heal your leaky gut in order to reverse your autoimmune symptoms. Thus, in a nutshell, if you are wanting to be healthy, you must have a healthy gut.
3. Eating a gluten-free diet won’t make any difference in your autoimmune disorder – Myth!
Many individuals believe that eating a gluten-free diet is the latest fad. Since we’ve been eating wheat for thousands of years, why would it now all of a sudden be unhealthy? The wheat we are growing and eating now is not the same wheat previous generations ate.
And when it comes to autoimmunity, eating a gluten-free diet is key! Often times I hear people mention, “I don’t have celiac disease, nor do I have any digestive issues.” It’s not just whether digestive issues come about as specific signs and symptoms, but where within the body these concerns will take place in the form of autoimmunity, such as within your thyroid or joints.
4. Autoimmune disorders are only impacted by your genes, not the environment – Myth!
Genetics does play a role in autoimmunity, with about 25% accounting for the autoimmune development. However, this means the remaining 75% is impacted by our environment – something that you can choose to have an enormous impact on, day in and day out.
It’s empowering to know that whatever genes you were born with, you have the ability to manage your body’s response to autoimmunity. You are able to live a happy and healthy life, enjoying the passions you love.
5. There’s nothing you can do to support your immune system, it is what it is – Myth!
By strengthening the immune system, through minimizing the body’s toxic load and supporting your bodies gut function, you too can live a healthy life that isn’t negatively impacted by unfortunate signs and symptoms. Instead, you can eliminate the negative impacts you are experiencing allowing your body to thrive on a daily basis. Take charge of your situation by making the necessary steps to put your autoimmune condition into remission!
PS - Wanting new recipe ideas? Follow me on Pinterest for some yummy and creative ideas.
Hello, my name is Stacy Phillips, licensed Functional Nutritionist and Holistic Health, Wellness and Strength & Conditioning Coach with a MS in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine practicing whole-foods nutrition and physical training to individuals around the globe.
Archive by Topic